Steps to Prepare Microfilm for Conversion to Digital Files
As part of the microfilm to digital file conversion process, it is important to prepare the microfilm beforehand. While the following services are performed by the document scanning company, it is imperative for a business owner to know the procedure in and out.
It goes as follows:
- Identify the films that are to be converted.
- They are then handed over to professionals from record scanning company.
- Microfilm scanning is performed to extract the original image of a document from the microfilm. This image is extracted in the TIFF format usually.
- Once the image is extracted, image clean-up is performed. A variety of techniques are applied for image enhancement such as character repair, hole punch repair, dilate, erode, skew etc.
- In the next step, Intelligent Character Recognition (ICR) and Optical Character Recognition (OCR) are used to make the digital images text-searchable.OCR and ICR are then used so as to capture the desired data on documents and forms.Finally, we ensure that both hand-written and machine written data is extracted.
- Once all this is done, the microfilm is now deemed fit for conversion.
If you are interested in speaking to a professional about getting your microfilm converted to digital images, give us call at 985-888-0091.